Wednesday 12 June 2013

Saltram House

My second year of university is complete, and after six weeks of essay writing it was finally time to unwind and escape campus. The English department had organised a visit to Saltram House: so Alice, Sarah and myself signed ourselves up for a bit of culture.



We were given tours by experienced guides who told us stories and anecdotes about the family that had lived here. 






The rooms were all so grand and beautiful, it was difficult to imagine how it would be to live in a house like this... I mean really who needs 4 sitting rooms and 2 dining rooms?



Climbing the stairs in the hallway made us get into character... delicate steps, and our shoulders pulled back. 


Sarah however, got so caught up in the role and fell up the stairs... I don't think we are ready to be ladies of the manor just yet...


We then arrived at a literature students favourite room... The Library.










Now the formal and guided part of the tour was over we were then unleashed to explore the grounds and exterior buildings ourselves.




I used the word 'unleashed', because after 2 months of being locked away in the library and our houses, we did seem to go a little mad...



Off we went to explore the beautiful gardens...
















We went to the greenhouse, which reminded us of the 'Sound of Music'...



So naturally we tried out the acoustics...




Time for my solo... 




What a lovely day, with my my lovely friends, in a truly lovely setting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment